Hormetic Stress Biohacking Type 1 Diabetes CGM
My mother in her 90s
When my mother was young, she was a beautiful, vibrant woman. She was so caring and bubbled with good health. Now that she is very old, in her late 90s, I have been taking good care of her health and giving her special attention.
Yes, as women age, their health and well-being require special attention and care. This is because women 90 and above face unique challenges. These challenges range from osteoporosis and arthritis to social isolation and cognitive decline.
Caregivers, family members, and healthcare professionals play a vital role in supporting these women.
Here are 20 things I do to support my mother's health and well-being.
1. Regular Health Check-ups
I schedule regular health check-ups to monitor her blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and cancer screenings. This is because I realize that early detection is the key to managing age-related health issues.
2. Nutrition and Meal Planning
I provide nutrient-rich meals and snacks, focusing on calcium, vitamin D, and fiber-rich foods. A balanced diet supports bone health, digestive health, and overall well-being.
3. Stay Hydrated
I encourage her to drink plenty of water throughout the day to prevent dehydration and support urinary health.
4. Physical Activity
I encourage her to have regular physical activity, such as walking, to maintain strength, flexibility, and balance.
5. Fall Prevention
I ensure that her home is safe and then implement fall-prevention strategies, such as removing tripping hazards and installing handrails.
6. Social Connections
I foster social connections through regular visits and phone calls to combat loneliness and isolation.
7. Mental Health Support
I provide emotional support and encourage mental health check-ups to address anxiety, depression, or cognitive decline.
8. Medication Management
I assist with medication management, ensuring prescriptions are filled and taken as directed.
9. Sleep and Relaxation
I promote relaxation techniques, such as meditation or deep breathing, to improve her sleep quality.
10. Vision and Hearing Care
I schedule regular vision and hearing check-ups to address age-related sensory decline.
11. Dental Care
I ensure her regular dental check-ups and good oral hygiene practices to prevent oral health issues.
12. Foot Care
I provide foot care, including regular nail trimming and comfortable footwear, to prevent foot problems.
13. Incontinence Management
I address incontinence issues with dignity and support, exploring products and exercises to manage symptoms.
14. Cognitive Stimulation
I engage in mentally stimulating activities with her, such as puzzles, games, or watching television and videos, to support cognitive health.
15. Chronic Disease Management
I ensure good management of chronic conditions, such as diabetes, hypertension, or arthritis, through lifestyle changes and medication adherence.
16. Palliative Care
I provide palliative care support, addressing pain, symptoms, and emotional needs.
17. Advance Care Planning
I encourage advance care planning, including advance directives and power of attorney.
18. Home Safety Modifications
I assess and modify the home environment to promote safety and independence.
19. Transportation Support
I provide transportation support, ensuring access to medical appointments and social events.
20. Respite Care
I offer respite care, giving her caregivers a break and supporting their own well-being.
Conclusion
From my personal experience so far, caring for elderly women 80 and above is a serious business. It should not be left to chance. It indeed requires a holistic approach, addressing physical, emotional, and social needs.
By implementing the above 20 strategies, we have been able to support the health and well-being of my elderly mother.
Comments
Post a Comment