Hormetic Stress Biohacking Type 1 Diabetes CGM
Dr. Vinay Prasad
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted accelerated approval to Kresladi, a groundbreaking gene therapy for treating severe Leukocyte Adhesion Deficiency Type I (LAD-I) in pediatric patients.
This approval marks a significant milestone, making Kresladi the first FDA-approved gene therapy for this rare, life-threatening immune deficiency.
What is Severe LAD-I?
Severe LAD-I is a rare genetic disorder caused by mutations in the ITGB2 gene, leading to recurrent, life-threatening infections. Patients often face significant morbidity and mortality in their first decade.
How Kresladi Works
Kresladi is an autologous hematopoietic stem cell-based gene therapy that introduces functional ITGB2 gene copies, restoring CD18 and CD11a expression in white blood cells. This addresses the underlying cause of severe LAD-I, enhancing immune function.
Efficacy and Safety
Approval was based on a single-arm study showing increased neutrophil CD18 and CD11a expression, indicating improved immune activity. Common side effects included anemia, low blood cell counts, and infections. Post-marketing studies will confirm clinical benefits.
FDA's Commitment to Rare Diseases
"The FDA continues to advance innovative gene therapies for rare pediatric diseases," said Dr. Vinay Prasad, FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research. Kresladi received Orphan Drug, Rare Pediatric Disease, and Fast Track designations.
Impact on Patients
"Kresladi offers a potentially transformative treatment option," said Dr. Megha Kaushal, FDA. "This treatment can improve quality of life for children with severe LAD-I."
Rocket Pharmaceuticals, Inc. received accelerated approval and a Rare Pediatric Disease Priority Review Voucher.
Comments
Post a Comment